Saturday, 30 March 2013

Reads: The Great Gatsby


The Great Gatsby is actually an American Classic however the first time I came into contact with it is from seeing that Baz Luhrmann is directing the film adaptation which is set to star Leonardo Di Caprio.

When seeing a film I always prefer to have read the book first and the teaser trailer made the whole thing seem so glamourous that I was intrigued.



The book is set in the roaring twenties in Long Island in America in 1922. Everything is glamourous, oddly apart from the protagonist Nick, everyone is very wealthy and recklessly party a lot. Nick moves to West Egg - an area in Long Island, across the water from East Egg where his friends Tom and Daisy live. Nick befriends his neighbour Gatsby.


Gatsby is famous for throwing large excessive and legendary parties, where it seems strangers are welcome to attend and party the night away. Gatsby is also famously mysterious - throughout the majority of the book we're kept guessing at to how to came to be so excessively rich as no one seems to know his background.

Tom is unbeknownst to Daisy cheating on her with a woman named Myrtle. Despite Daisy not knowing this is common knowledge. To complicate things even more Gatsby is actually in love with Daisy and they almost married when they were younger, they then begin to also have an affair.

Tom becomes suspicious of his wife's relationship with Gatsby and sets out to prove that Gatsby isn't who he seems. Daisy begins fighting with Tom and and says she will leave him for Gatsby. She then finds out that Gatsby isn't really who he says he is, a respected pharmacist and is instead making his money selling alcohol illegally. 

When Daisy finds this out she is furious and dumps Gatsby for Tom. Driving home Daisy coincidentally runs over and kills Myrtle. Myrtle's husband discovers she was having an affair and finds out that it was Gatsby's car that killed her. He then shoots Gatsby thinking he was driving the car, and then shoots himself.

Gatsby dies alone and no one shows up to his funeral except Nick and his father. Tom and Daisy leave town and Nick never sees them again.

Whilst I did enjoy the setting of the book I found myself becoming distracted quite a lot. I do feel bad saying that as it is said to be a critically acclaimed American classic. I am glad I read it but I spent a good lot of time being frustrated that Gatsby's real source of money hadn't been revealed. 

I think the story definitely will suit the big screen better and I'm really looking forward to seeing the film at the cinema.

Have you read The Great Gatsby and what did you think of it? Will you be seeing it at the Cinema?



Follow Me: Bloglovin', Google, Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I read this book back in highschool and was the first book I actually enjoyed studying in English. So I'm definitely looking forward to the film. I just hope Luhrmann hasn't destroyed it XD.

    Tegan
    Beauty Challenged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard I'd going to be a big film. Can't wait!
      x

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting.
X

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover